Dr. Jin Hee “Jinny” Kwak is a board-certified orthodontist. Growing up, she lived in various places including England, France, Netherlands, Indonesia, Pakistan, Israel, and South Korea. The multicultural upbringing taught her the significance of a great smile, a common language to positively express oneself and the first stepping stone to establishing relationships with others. She is passionate about creating confident, healthy smiles and empowering lives.
Dr. Jinny completed her orthodontic residency training at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). She then served as a full-time UCLA professor for 8 years, during which she was the Clinic Director for 4 years. She also provided patient care at the Pediatric Craniofacial Clinic of the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, where she collaborated with 12 specialties including Pediatrics, ENT (Ear Nose and Throat Specialist), and Plastic Surgery to treat issues in the continuously growing head and the face. As an airway-focused orthodontist, Dr. Jinny has over 10 years of experience working with medical specialists to help treat children and adults for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). After starting her private practice at ClearWave Orthodontics, she continues to fulfill her passion for teaching as a part-time professor at the University of Southern California (USC). She obtained her DDS degree from Yonsei University in Seoul, South Korea.
In addition to the clinical practice, Dr. Jinny has been involved extensively in research and received over $1 million funding from the National Institute of Health (NIH), the Center for the Advancement of Science in Space (CASIS) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the American Association of Orthodontists Foundation (AAOF) and the Colgate Palmolive Company. She has over 23 high-impact publications and spoke at more than 28 scientific conferences, including the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO), with over 20 awards for excellence.
Outside of work, Dr. Jinny enjoys bike rides at the beach and indulging in ice cream with her husband and daughter. She understands dearly the value of family time and is committed to preserving yours by maximizing what is done at each of your visits.
Awards and Honors
- Award for Excellence in Oral Health Research, Colgate-Palmolive Company (2021)
- Biomedical Research Award, American Association of Orthodontists Foundation (2018-2020)
- Colgate Award for Research Excellence, Global Technology Center at the Colgate-Palmolive Company (2018-2020)
- International Space Station Innovation Award, American Astronautical Society (Team Award, 2018)
- K08 Mentored Clinical Scientist Research Career Development Award, National Institute of Health (2017-2020)
- Willie and Earl Shepard Fellowship Award given to the most meritorious Orthodontic Faculty Development Fellowship Award, American Association of Orthodontists Foundation (2017-2018)
- Robert E. Binder Teaching Fellowship Award given to an outstanding Orthodontic Faculty Development Fellowship Award, American Association of Orthodontists Foundation (2016-2017)
- Orthodontic Faculty Development Fellowship Award, American Association of Orthodontists Foundation (2015-2016)
- R01 Research Project Grant, National Institute of Health (as a Co-Investigator; 2014-2020)
- Spaceflight Research Project Grant in collaboration with the National Aeronautical and Space Administration (NASA), the Center for the Advancement of Science in Space (2014-2018)
- Johnson & Johnson Hatton Award, one of the most prestigious awards in dental research, American Association for Dental Research (2014)
- Colgate Research in Prevention Travel Award, American Association for Dental Research (2011)
- Charley Schultz Resident Scholar Award, American Association of Orthodontists (2011)
- Ad hoc reviewer for journals: Angle Orthodontist, Oral Health and Dental Management, American Chemistry Society (ACS) Biomaterials Science & Engineering, Scientific Reports, and Tissue Engineering Part A.